what to know
- Part of the 5 Freeway will be closed overnight this week in Santa Clarita.
- The $679 million project is part of an effort to improve travel through the 5 Freeway corridor north of Los Angeles.
- The closures are scheduled to begin nightly at 10 pm and end at 4 am the next day.
Part of the 5 Freeway will close overnight this week for construction work north of Los Angeles.
The work is part of the I-5 North County Enhancements Project, designed to improve the main route of travel between Northern and Southern California through the state’s Central Valley.
Here’s what drivers should know.
Where and when will the 5 Freeway close for construction work?
One direction of the 5 Freeway between the 14 Freeway and Calgrove Boulevard in Santa Clarita will close overnight, starting Tuesday night. The closures are scheduled for 10 pm to 4 am at night, with one direction closed at a time.
- On Tuesday and Wednesday nights this week, the northbound 5 Freeway will be closed between the 14 Freeway and Calgrove Boulevard.
- On Thursday night, the southbound 5 Freeway in the same stretch will be closed, also from 10 pm to 4 am If necessary, nightly closures will be repeated between Tuesday and Thursday of next week, according to Caltrans.
Detours will be available, with signs posted when closures are in place.
If needed, closures are possible again Dec. 6-8
Why is the 5 Freeway closing?
The $679 million I-5 North County Enhancements Project is an effort to improve the flow of truck freight and reduce congestion, according to Metro and Caltrans.
This round of construction involves installation of temporary structures to support construction of the Weldon Canyon Road bridge. The structure will span the width of the freeway.
The project includes the following improvements:
- Addition of a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV)/carpool lane in each direction.
- Extension of the northbound truck lane from SR-14 to Calgrove Boulevard.
- Addition of southbound truck lane from Calgrove Boulevard to SR-14.
- Addition of sound walls.
- Replacement of Weldon Canyon Bridge.
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) improvements between the 405 and 210 freeway interchanges.
- Addition of auxiliary lanes, additional outside lanes extending between an on-ramp and a subsequent off-ramp.
A map of the construction project on the 5 Freeway north of Los Angeles. Click to enlarge.
Comments are closed.