Football star Pelé had an obvious tumor on the right side of his large intestine removed during an operation.
The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil, announced on Monday that the 80-year-old was in an intensive care unit and would be moved to a normal room on Tuesday.
The operation was a “great victory”, said Pelé on Monday on his social media channels.
He went to the hospital for a routine check-up last week when the tumor was found. The hospital said in a statement that the tumor was identified through routine cardiovascular and laboratory exams. It added it was collecting samples to be analyzed for pathologies.
“I thank God that he feels very comfortable and that Dr. Fábio and Dr. Miguel can take care of my health, ”said Pele. “Last Saturday I had an operation to remove a suspicious lesion in my right colon. The tumor was identified in the tests I mentioned last week.
“Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories next to you. I will face this game with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy, surrounded by the love of my family and friends. “
Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known worldwide as Pelé, was hospitalized last Tuesday. He used his social media channels to deny that he was in poor health.
“Folks, I did not pass out and I am in very good health. I went to my routine exams that I hadn’t been able to do before because of the pandemic. Let them know I’m not playing next Sunday, ”he joked in the tweet.
Pelé, the only male player to have won three world championships, has suffered mobility problems since a failed hip replacement surgery in 2012. He must use walkers and wheelchairs in public. In recent years he has also been hospitalized for kidney and prostate operations.
Pelé won the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and remains Brazil’s top scorer of all time with 77.