Restaurant staffing was a struggle long before 2020, but it got even more difficult during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the case of Milo SRO in Santa Monica, Milo and Olive’s two-year sister restaurant, finding key kitchen staff to keep the pizzeria running has been so difficult that their last day will be October 10th.
According to Milo SRO’s Instagram page, the decision to close was a complicated one. It’s not just about finding enough employees, it’s about fighting burnout while ensuring the health and safety of employees. “In order to run this place in the well thought-out and fully utilized way that we wanted, we honestly needed more staff. This is also an industry where burnout is rampant and the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees is so incredibly important to us. We will be moving all of our dedicated staff to Milo and Olive, which provides a much-needed relief. “
In other news:
- Architect Gulla Jónsdótti designed Esperanza in Manhattan Beach, and Forbes describes it as “the prettiest new restaurant in Los Angeles”.
- There was a lot of chatter while eating at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, and LA Times staff member Jenn Harris rated which dishes are worth eating while playing the Rams or Chargers.
Forbes “interviewed” Piero Selvaggio, founder of Valentino and managing partner of Drago Centro.
Urban Daddy’s story about Zaca Creek will instantly get you in the car and headed for Buellton.
- For a trip into LA’s restaurant memory trail, get George Geary’s new book Made In California: The California-Born Diners, Burger Joints, Restaurants & Fast Food that Changed America. LAist’s interview is a snapshot of well-known names that have long since disappeared or are still standing.
- Where are the most stylish and delicious restaurants in the world? Architectural Digest scoured the fashion capitals of New York, Paris, London, and Milan just to find a few Los Angeles spots that made the list.
- For gluten challenges, the Breadblok bakery in Santa Monica has introduced several new menu items: coffee and chocolate eclairs.