LAUSD agrees $14.7 million settlement with sex abuse victims

Attorneys representing seven students who were molested by their former elementary school teacher have reached a $14.7 million settlement with school officials in Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles Board of Education approved the settlement Tuesday, said Michael Carrillo, an attorney representing five of the victims.

Carrillo said that while the settlement does not undo the abuse suffered, it is a measure of closure.

“It benefits some young girls who have been through a lot,” he said. “Her memories of her childhood and her elementary school are forever tarnished. These children are still severely affected today.”

According to a statement from Carrillo’s company, the victims were 9- and 10-year-old students at Hart Street Elementary School in Canoga Park when they were abused by their teacher, Rene Tenas.

The abuse occurred from August 2016 to January 2017, the law firm said in a statement.

According to the statement, Tenas was convicted of lewd acts involving a minor in October 2018. He was sentenced to five years in state prison.

California Department of Justice records show he was released last year.

Carrillo said there were eight known victims, seven of whom were part of Tuesday’s settlement. He and his father represented five victims, while attorney Michael Marzban represented two victims.

A separate lawsuit is pending for the eighth victim, he said.

The Los Angeles Unified School District could not be reached for comment.

Comments are closed.