LAUSD admits delays in COVID-19 health screening system

Los Angeles school officials said Monday the health check-in process to get students into schools is slow, but they hoped to see improvements in the days to come.

LAUSD soup. Megan Reilly said she believed the large number of people trying to access the Daily Pass app before school started could have caused the slowdown.

“The day pass was slow,” she said while visiting the Girls Academic Leadership Academy, adding that the district is working with the provider to increase capacity. When asked if it would be fixed by Tuesday, she said she would know more Monday night.

“The district worked with the seller all day fixing the problem to speed it up,” said Reilly. When asked if long lines in front of the campus were the new norm, she said, “Today is the first day of school. I think we’re getting better and better every day. “

Reilly made no suggestions to parents in the event the Daily Pass system continued to face technical issues.

Students and parents endured long lines as daily health checks slowed down campus access. The problem seemed particularly acute in large high schools, where queues snaked the sidewalks on campuses like Fairfax, San Pedro, and Marshall, causing some students to miss the first lesson.

The district’s Daily Pass website, where parents confirm their children are healthy, gave a note to those wondering about delays. “We have a high volume and have to wait here until we have gathered information from others. … You will be admitted shortly. “

With the day pass, students receive a scannable code to enter the school. Alternatively, they could answer questions about their health from a screener at the campus entrance, a system that also caused delays.

John Marshall High Principal Gary Garcia created a workaround for Tuesday that will ask students to take screenshots of their approval for the health check-up. He thought quickly and also added about 18 minutes to the first lesson so that late students could meet their teachers.

On Monday, students started queuing at schools at 7 a.m. Some had to wait 30 to 40 minutes before entering.

Comments are closed.