November 3, 2021 11:00 AM
by Allison Ostrovsky
Downbeat 720 is in its twentieth year! The city’s long-standing open mic for high school performers continues online through Zoom. Students are invited to perform their music, poetry, comedy, or art for participating students and professional artist mentors. Performers receive positive constructive feedback to strengthen their performance and provide students with a safe and supportive space for self-expression.
Downbeat 720 sessions until the end of the year will take place on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the coming months: Tuesday, November 9th, Thursday, November 23rd and Tuesday, December 14th. Participants can join in at 7 p.m. while DJ Jedi plays music. The open mic starts at 7:20 p.m. and lasts until 9 p.m.
Participants must register in advance by using the links below. A confirmation email will follow with details on how to participate.
2. TUESDAY HOURS | 4. TUESDAY HOURS
For updates, visit Downbeat 720’s Instagram page @ downbeat720. If you have any questions, send an email to [email protected].
The downbeat commandments
- Respect yourself, the other artists and the space.
- All styles and skill levels are taken into account.
- Feel free to fall on your face.
- Make sure you are muted when it is not your turn.
- Leave your camera turned off if you’re not ready to go live.
- Use the chat to inspire your fellow artists.
- If you can stay until the end that would be great.
- Put your phones on vibration.
- Bring a new friend every time.
- We love you and we’ll see you again in two weeks.
“Downbeat 720 is one of the most magical things I’ve ever experienced. It’s a place where high school students from all over LA come and perform their original pieces, sing a cover, read poetry, etc. Everyone has been so supportive of each other. It’s a place to take risks, stand on stage and be comfortable experimenting and stepping out of your comfort zone. It’s also a place to meet people who are interested in things similar to yours, and who complement your skills wonderfully. “–Owen Thiele, singer
“Downbeat 720 is the BEST performance lab for teenagers. I love the positive support they receive and the professionalism they learn. ”–Ipolani Lott, mother
Past downbeat 720 sessions
Visit youtube.com/downbeat720 for recordings.
Art, culture & fun, art, youth and seniors