February 17, 2022 9:09 AM
Join the City of Santa Monica’s Virginia Avenue Park (VAP) and the Parent Connection Group (PCG) in collaboration with the Pico Branch Library and the Santa Monica Farmers Market to celebrate Black History Month at the annual Black History Greens Festival on Saturday, February 26 from 10 am to 2 pm
This year’s theme is Honoring California’s Black History, and the event will feature a greens cooking demonstration with Chef Jamar, mindfulness meditation, book readings and giveaways, dance performances, Black cowboys, horse and pony rides, and KCRW DJ Novena Carmel.
This year’s Greens Festival program will include:
- Greens Festival opening with a selection of songs performed by Eboni Alexander
- DJ music mixing by local favorite, Novena Carmel, who co-hosts KCRW’s flagship show Morning Becomes Eclectic
- Book reading of Robert H. Miller’s Once Upon a Time in the Black West by award winning teen equestrian, Zoie Brogdon
- Living history performance of famous Black cowboy, Nat Love
- Mr Todd’s Horse and Pony Rides
- Santa Monica Police Department Mounted Unit
- Mindful meditation with Donna Brown
- Live cooking demonstration with Chef Jamar of family favorite greens recipes
- Book reading by renowned actor, Shabaka Henley of Sam: The Junior Herbalist: The Case Of The Tummy Troubles by Angela Rahim and a special take-and-go herbal tea kit will be distributed by the Pico Branch Library to listeners
- Dance performances by West Coast Legendary Dance and Homeboy The Clown Dancers
- City of Santa Monica Art of Recovery grantee Orchestra Santa Monica presents the film premiere of We Gather, featuring music composed by Derrick Skye and performed by the Orchestra
- A variety of resource booths and vendors
Guests are encouraged to bring picnic blanket and/or lawn chairs. The event will comply with current COVID guidelines. Guests are requested to wear masks and maintain social distancing while at the event.
For more information about this year’s festival, call 310-458-8688 or visit santamonica.gov.
Public Information Officer
Arts, Culture & Fun
City Manager’s Office