A man in Shadow Hills, labeled a “serial armed burglar” by police, was charged with more than a dozen crimes and pleaded not guilty last week.
Benjamin Renteria, also known as Benjamin Renteria-Herrera, was charged nine cases of burglary, four cases of possession of a firearm by a felon, one of theft of a firearm and one of assault on a firearm, and in a November 19 criminal complaint a count of firing a gun with gross negligence, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.
The armed suspect, who is wanted in a series of break-ins in the Sunland area, has been arrested. Beverly White will report for the NBC4 News on Wednesday, November 17, 2021.
The prosecutor’s office said Renteria was brought to the San Fernando court late Monday, where the lawsuit was filed. Renteria will have to go to court again on January 6, 2022.
A public entry in the LA Superior Court’s case database does not list any criminal charges, and the prosecutor’s office did not respond to media inquiries about the case before it appeared in court.
He is held on a $ 240,000 bond.
A thin man who appeared to be carrying a variety of weapons was tracked by security cameras on property. Coupled with reports of break-ins, residents are nervous. Gordon Tokumatsu reports on November 15, 2021.
Renteria’s arrest ended a three-day search for the man police believe was responsible for multiple commercial and home break-ins in Sunland, Shadow Hills, and various northeastern San Fernando Valley communities.
Neighbors said they were scared.
Carlos Medina, a neighbor, said he thought he’d met him before.
“He stopped by my house five days ago,” he said. “Tattooed, had a backpack. He asked me and my friend, ‘Can you take me to Saticoy?’ My friend said, ‘No, he can’t.’ “
Police say the prowler was seen with a handgun, repeating rifle and AR-15 rifle and they say he is linked to a number of commercial and residential break-ins.
“I don’t sleep all night,” said Karo Paronian, a neighbor. “I watch my home. Sit in a chair up there until 2-3 am at night.”